Old style, 3D attractions are still available at WDW. Not the new “realistic” 3D like Star Tours or that will come with Avatarland, but the in-your-face, made-you-jump type. I personally am a fan of them. Disney does them very well. Here are my rankings of the current WDW 3D attractions.
1. Muppet Vision 3D in Disney’s Hollywood Studios: This is the Muppets at their very best. From the queue (make sure to read the crates) to the finale’,it is entertaining, pure muppet silliness. The 3D really does add to the experience.
2. Mickey’s Philharmagic in Magic Kingdom: Another very entertaining show, hosted by Goofy, and starring Donald that takes you from conductor/sorcerer Mickey through some of the most loved Disney songs and movie scenes. Donald and Goofy are funny. The 3D is in-your-face. I love the smell during the Aladdin scene. So grab your opry glasses. This is a must see.
3. StormStruck in Epcot: This is not the silly and goofy fare of the first two. The use of 3D and other special effects make this a great attraction, though. It is an educational quiz about home construction and tornados in Innoventions hosted by Steve Cantori of The Weather Channel. Another must see.
4. It’s Tough to be a Bug in Animal Kingdom: Although I have this one ranked near the bottom of the list, I still recommend that you check it out if you never have. Maybe watching “A Bug’s Life” prior to your next visit would help to get you re-acquainted with the story. This one is fun, but can be intense for little ones. The first time we did this in 1999, Roly’s big sister, 8 at the time, left screaming at the top of her lungs, running as fast as she could to the exit after a certain stinging special effect.
5. Captain Eo in Epcot: Unless you are a huge Michael Jackson fan, the two best things about this attraction are leaving and having the right to gripe about it with others afterwards.
The waits for these attractions are usually very short to nonexistent. Most of them are worth checking out.